History of the society

(From a booklet compiled by the Mount Gambier History Group)

It is recorded that the South East Art Society was formed on 28th August 1965 at an enthusiastic meeting chaired by Mr I Van den Berg after it was recognised that tere were at least 50 people who were indicating their support. Likewise a Penola group was interested to be included.

The formed SEAS would interest itself in the widest form and the suggestions were to form groups, show exhibitions, lectures, films, competitions, the possibilioty of establishing a museum, an art gallery and eventually a periodical for members. From this record we must admire the profound vision that was presented to the community.

In the first year the meetings were held in the Country Life Restaurant with the early membership of around 50 interested people.They held their first Members’ Exhibition September 27th 1966 in the show rooms of OG Roberts and Co. Mrs Lenore Bishop performed the official opening on the first evening of the exhibition. Also at this exhibition, other paintings owned by other people in the district, were shown, along with pottery and sculptures to add a wider interest.

There were 129 exhibits in the exhibition held in September 1968 at the same venue.

Another exhibition was held in March 1970 in the Arthur Studio Gallery during the Rotary Conference. It was most successful with over 600 people attending.

SEAS Exhibition September 1970 – works of art being admired by Mrs Jean Elliot (Mayoress) & Mr Stan Elliot (Mayor) & Mr Kevin Hein (SEAS secretary)
Commencement of Studio One

Studio One was opened in the Odeon Theatre comples (corner shop) in 1970 to be the venue and outlet for artists for display and sale of paintings, pottery, porcelain painting and jewellery. It was an outstanding success with the tourist trade and for the community interest in the Arts.

Studio One shifted from the Odeon in 1975 after 5 years,  into the Old Ambulance Station kindly made available by the City Council.

The Old Ambulance Station at 1 James Street was in disrepair and there was no rent to be charged by the Council. With a great deal of effort and a big thank you to Kevin Hein and helpers it was fully repaired and the interior decorated in an artistic style.

In 1990 Studio One moved into the former Institute Library in the Civic Buildings in Commercial Street, having been redecorated fully under the guidance of Kevin Hein and those who assisted.

The Painting Festivals continued each year and were held in the City Hall, first under sponsorship of S.E.Land and Berger Paints, then by Henri Post Jeweller. These sponsors gave prize money to the value of $1000 for the first prize and medals for subsequent prizes.

The "Old Stables" Studio

Be Inspired in our historic Old Stables studio

Heritage listed, the Sportsman’s Arms Hotel Stables dates back to 1868 and is preserved in close to its working condition. It is our duty and privilege to treat it with respect and care. We hold meetings, tutorials and workshops in the hayloft. Downstairs, the old horse-stalls create work spaces for pottery, sculpture and other ‘heavy’ crafts. On fine days, the tall double doors open up almost the entire south wall for light and fresh air: delightful conditions for creative work and play!

A history of the Sportsman’s Arms Hotel Stables

In 1868 a hotel named the Sportsman’s Arms opened on the corner of Sutton Avenue and Commercial Street West at Rosaville, a small settlement about a mile from the township of Mount Gambier

Formerly the store of George Beattie, the hotel conversion was at first refused a license until sufficient stabling was built for the owner and mine host, Frederick Van Damme.

The ‘Stables’ became a hive of activity when the Smith’s forge was working and local Jockeys and Hunters were discussing the prospects of the nearby ‘Cave Paddock’ Race meetings which were held diagonally opposite the hotel.

In 1919, after 50 years of trading and 13 successive licensees, the Sportsman’s Arms lost it license, and during 1920 the building was demolished. For several decades the stables continued to function but by 1990 were about to meet the same fate.

In 1991 the Mount Gambier Heritage Society, aware of the possibility the old stables may be demolished, negotiated for their retention and were eventually able to secure a lease of the property with the owners, the South Australian Housing Trust.

Restoration work was assisted by Government sponsored programs such as the Landcare Environment Action Program (LEAP) and Correctional Services Community Services Program. The restoration project was completed in 1994.

Special acknowledgement to renowned Mount Gambier artist and early member, Miss Cathleen Edkins, whose painting of the Stables was auctioned as a fundraiser and provided considerable financial resources for the Mount Gambier Heritage Society to complete the project.

A Cathleen Edkins painting depicting a 19th century stable scene